The ContraCola group is considering having summer dances at our new location because it offers a nice, air-conditioned dance facility.
Here are some features for these dances:
- In order to save money, we will use recorded music (at least during 2015).
- There will not be a door person collecting money — we will use an honor system to collect donations to cover expenses.
- Dances will be on a donation basis, with a $5 minimum donation suggested. The money will be used to pay for the dance hall and to offset the losses the group experienced over the last few months.
- Prior to each dance, we will have a Caller's Workshop (please see details below)
- Caller: we will have a caller or callers in an open-mic format.
Optional Caller's Workshop
July Workshop: Basics of Calling6 - 8 PM: This workshop will cover the essentials of calling Contra dances: structure of dance music, teaching dance moves, easy and complex dances, basic of working with a band, and time for actual practice. Any caller will then have the opportunity to call at least one dance during the event.
August Workshop: Intermediate Skills6 - 8 PM: Among the things we will cover are planning an event (what dances to choose, in what order, etc.), making adjustments (working with different crowd experience levels and different bands), and practice time. Callers can then participate in an open-mic format during the dance.
ARE YOU INTERESTED?Please take our two-question survey at: